Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Day 21: At a loss for words...

I can honestly say that it's not often that I don't have something to talk about, and apparantly today is that "not often"! What you may not know is that I am aspiring to write reviews about movies... mostly horror movies, and that has been on the forefront of my mind today, and in that mode I have completely forgotten to find something interesting and funny to talk about. I know I've mentioned that I love Horror, I love Metal, and this blog has been a labor of love because I've had to make myself try to stick to my diet and focus on my goals in order to keep this thing worth reading. (well and that whole get healthy thing, but who gives a rat's ass about that!) Keeping that in mind, I have asked my friends if they have any questions that I haven't addressed. Geez, I hate asking for help, I've already asked for a lot, so that seems kind of selfish, asking, but you know what? I don't have any space to be shy now! I am currently weighing in at 211.6 lbs. Not a bad place to be in 3 weeks, but the one thing that I haven't really said much about is what I'm actually eating, so when my good friend asked what I was eating, I smacked myself in the forehead... DUH!!! I am such a creature of habit that changing my whole eating lifestyle has been a real challenge, in spite of the fact that I am a pretty decent cook. I have had to change the way I eat, the way I shop, and the way I look at food in general. For the most part I have been good, a couple fast food slip ups here and there, but so much better than what I had been doing, I can honestly say that I'm proud. I get Schwan's delivered, and that has been a challenge, are you kidding??? Bagel dogs are the most wonderful convenience food ever put on the market, and they are in my freezer... and I have not touched them! Pat on the back Jamie!
I have had to re-work my whole eating style. Breakfast for me used to mean finding whatever was leftover from the night before or whatever I could fry in butter, eggs, ham, cheese, toast with butter, gravy in any form, the occasional french toast, or, of course fast food! I have turned my breakfast into a slice of whole grain toast, often dry or with a little low fat butter with canola oil, a container of greek yogurt, and a piece of fresh fruit. These are all things that I wouldn't have ever even considered before I started this. I found out that I love love love the breakfast! Greek yogurt is a gift to the whole universe! What I have read is that you should only have yogurt that is plain, because of the sugar, but really the 0% greek yogurt with fruit is not so bad, so guess what? PPPPBBBBBTTTT! Lunch is generally as much salad as I can fit on a plate, and I load it up with every kind of veggie I can mustre from the fridge, and I top it with bottled Italian dressing. I'm careful to follow the serving size recommended, because I'm trying really hard to keep the fat down to a minimum, but most light dressings have a ton of sugar, and I have absolutely NOT been able to bring myself to eat it all without any dressing! I have only just started making veggies the main part of my diet, so you have to give me a break! I did try to go the frozen meal route, but I have to tell you, I didn't care for the taste of the 4 I tried, and I felt so hungry when I was done, so its a big no go on the frozen stuff! Dinners have been a toss up. I haven't cooked any red meat in almost 3 weeks, which is just nuts to me! I have replaced all of my ground beef with turkey, and everything is either chicken or turkey or fish. I made my spagetti sauce, which really isn't high in fat, with turkey... no difference! Fish, I'm not as fluent in fish, but I know that I like almost all of it, so I just try to keep it as kid friendly as possible. Schwan's sells a white fish called Blue Hake, it's basically cod from New Zealand, and I have found that Albertson's has small, single serve packs of bay scallops, so I just put the fish in tin foil with the scallops, asparagus and green beans, sprinkle with whatever seasoning you like. I'm partial to lemon pepper, so I just made my own with some Meyer Lemons that I found, and cook it from frozen for about 25 minutes at 350 degrees. Be careful if you try to replicate this, the Hake is a thick filet, and it can dry out easily, you really need to check it after 15 min. and make sure that it isn't drying out, and white fish is far more tempermental than it's red, and much fattier counterpart! I have some other ideas that I have been testing, but I have to admit, I'm not completely happy with any of it just yet, as soon as I am I will let you know. If you are interested, I have gotten some really great ideas from my friend Tiffany, and I love her blog, she has always been healthy and she focuses on fresh food as much as she can! Her blog is: denverdiningdiva.blogspot.com I highly recommend checking her out! I promise tomorrow I will be more fun! Have a great night!

No comments:

Post a Comment