Saturday, February 19, 2011

Day 25: Enchilada night!

When the kids came home this morning, they busted me playing my first song of the day on guitar hero. Wyatt actually asked me if I stayed up all night to play it! (as if I have that sort of resolve anymore!) I had to laugh, as of Christmas time, when Wyatt got the X-box 360, I am officially a guitar hero addict. I haven't played in about a month, but I decided today was my day to get back into it, and I got busted! So periodically throughout the day I have stopped everything to play. Oh, did I mention that I'm terrible at video games, and I am the jerk wad that plays guitar hero on beginner. You know, the one where you don't use the neck buttons, you just click the thingy (technical term). This works out fine for me because I have pretty good rhythm, but zero coordination, so trying to use both hands for anything other than getting dressed is sort of a joke! I rock at beginner. I have only played 2 songs in my career that were below 90% and most songs are between 97% and 99%, so I justify my not trying anything harder by saying I can't until I get a 100%! I'm a nerd, I know, but it's fun, and I really enjoy the mindlessness that comes along with it. Well at least until I have to cook dinner, then all bets are off.
One of my very favorite things in the world to eat are enchiladas, but they aren't exactly healthy, so I sat and thought about it for a long time, how I was going to enjoy my enchilada flavors, while not shoving my face full of fat. I thought, and thought and... duh! Cut out the majority of the cheese, and the tortillas, add some beans and rice to the mix, something good has to happen, right? Holy crap, I had no idea! I was actually more impressed with these enchiladas than I have been with anything I have cooked so far on the diet, and honestly I think I liked them better. Ok, so they are kind of a mexican stuffed pepper, but it worked, so, for your enjoyment, and by request I might add, here is the recipe:
1 lb ground turkey (97/3)
1 sm can diced green chiles
1 sm onion, diced
1 clove garlic, diced
1 can beans (I like navy, but whatever works for you!)
2 tsp. Chipotle chile powder
1 pkg enchilada seasoning
1 sm can tomato paste
1 1/4 c. hot water
1 c. cooked rice
4 pablano chiles, top cut off and cleaned out, but not split
1 c. lowfat shredded cheese
4 med tortillas
Mix enchilada pkg, water and tomato paste, let sit.
Brown turkey w/ salt and pepper, onions, garlic and chipotle, (I used a really good nonstick pan, and no oil) when browned add can of chiles, beans, rice and 1/4 of enchilada sauce. Let simmer on med low about 10 min, stirring occasionally. Pour just a couple of tbs. enchilada sauce on the bottom of a 9x13 pan, just to coat. Fill each pablano with turkey mixture. With left over mix, fill tortillas and roll, place them in the pan, cover with remaining enchilada sauce and cheese. Cook,covered at 375 for 45 min. Top with diced avacado!
I filled the chiles for myself in attempt to cut back on the carbs, but even the kids liked them!
Yes, I know that I used packaged enchilada seasoning, but I'm not mexican, and I sort of believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Also if you can't find chipotle seasoning, use chile powder, and just a touch of cumin, that will give you the smokey flavor that really kind of made the whole dish!
So now I must go on with the rest of my night, I have some bike to ride, and kids to wrangle! Enjoy your evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment