Friday, February 18, 2011

Day 24: Whaaaaaaaaaaat?

I look forward to Fridays, I do, sometimes I do dread weekends, we all know that, but Friday's aren't so bad. Ebin's gramma offers to take the boys most Friday nights, and every now and then, both of the big boys stay... aaaaaaahhhhh, and very often she will cook dinner, also a treat! Tonight is one of those nights, both big boys are over there, and it is so nice and quiet. Laundry is really all I have to do tomorrow, it feels so good! I can't tell you how nice it is to have someone else cook dinner, it's just wonderful. Well it is most nights. The food was really good, but I really hate it when someone else tells my kids how to act. Now if it was Ebin's grandparents, that's just fine, it's their house, and dinner can be difficult some nights, but when a friend of the family who knows everything about everything is telling my kids how to act I want to come unglued! I absolutely hate confrontation, I'm so bad at it. I shake, I get sweaty, I can't look people in the eye... gosh, I'm kind of a puss I guess, but tension of any kind makes me nuts. I wanted to look at that goofy bitch in her eye and tell her that I will tell my children how much to eat, and she can piss off. Then I think about the amount of respect I have for Ebin's grandparents that I don't say a word. This woman has been a great friend to them and I know it, so I made myself just let it go. But why the hell should I have to take this shit, I know I'm younger, but my kids are, for the most part, very well behaved, and don't deserve to be talked down to by someone who may be book smart but has no clue about how to conduct herself in public. No common sense, and I'm a reasonably intellegent person, and I absolutely hate when someone tries to make me feel like I'm not. This same person, who I already wanted to bitch slap, looked at me like I was out of my mind when I was talking about this blog, and mentioned that I have been asked a few times if I had considered writing a book. (a very nice compliment, by the way!) She looked at me like there was no way this girl could possibly put together a decent sentence, let alone a book! I understand that the college thing hasn't exactly worked out, but that doesn't mean it won't. I'm a smart person, and I deserve as much a chance as anyone else! (not to mention the fact that I'm hilarious! ha ha ha... aaaaaah.... nobody?) Then as if to just throw a little whipped cream on the shit sundae, one of the kids said the "f" word. What??? He couldn't wait until she wasn't there???? The good news is he did it out of any adult earshot, he just admitted it to me, so I just took away the toy he was playing with, and left it alone. The moral of the story here is that I did something that I haven't been able to do in a long time, and that's take a situation that stressed me out, throw kid stuff into the mix, and I didn't explode on the kid. I gave him the chance to explain, and I did what I knew would be effective for him, and I didn't take my stress out on him. I have to be honest, not blowing up makes all the difference, because now I'm home, in the quiet, just enjoying it instead of tossing all of the details about dinner around in my head, and finding even more to be pissed about. So I guess my feeling bad for myself wasn't 100 percent warranted, I may not be all happy all the time, but I'm learning self control on so many levels, I should really be greatful for that, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment